Thursday, July 21, 2016

Rachel(Juhyeon) Lee/ Journal Entry2 / ISS

Journal Entry:  The School Days of an Indian Girl 

 

 After reading the essay, I looked back how I got education in school and I was grieved to see how hard it would have been for her to go through this hardship and favoritism towards the 'pale face' students. I was never threatened with scissors to cut my hair short, and no teachers hit me in the face. And any of the students in my classes didn't have to be separated with their parents for long time. 


 If I were her, I wouldn't have been the same. Even she stoop up for her rights, I would have just given up and start to adapt in the situation. I will try to make my teacher like me, so I will let the teacher cut my hair even it's humiliating for Indians. 


 I also am ESL student which stands for English as Second Language. But the way I learned English is way different from Zitkala-Sa. She had to learn the language to survive so she was almost forced to learn it to live, but I could choose whether to study or not. I chose to study because I wanted to. Even she became a good writer, learning process was extremely backbreaking and miserable for her. I should appreciate what I have with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment