Monday, July 25, 2016

Efimova Nina

 

 My experience in English.

I study in the North-Eastern Federal University of Foreign languages and regional studies in Russia. I learn English and French languages. I am freshmen. I will be a translator. I started studing english quite late, two years ago in my high school. The english we studied was quite poor and stuffed with boring grammar rules. At the end of my studying course my classmates were not even able to deal with simple things in english, not to mention understanding natives. Two years ago I decided I wanted to learn english and passed the exam and to go to the University. So, I've been studing almost only through the internet.

 I studied one year in the University but I could not speak in English. It is a really. I was afraid to speak. I was afraid to make mistakes. And I was silent. The thing is there are the only Russian people and in my head I think Russian word then I translate in English. If I did not know the word I speak it in Russian. I think if you want to learn English you have to visit country where all the people speak in English and you have not familiar people there.

Now I dare say that I can speak in English with mistakes but I can. Of course I sometimes afraid but I will try to fight with it. In Seoul I met foreign students and I speak in English with them. It is very help me. 

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your writting even you have been studied for only two years. Your write is very good. I can understand most things you said. Certainly you have struggled a lot in order to improve your English skills for these last years. I know it is really difficult to understand what people say and write in English. However you faced it and now you got into University. I really appreciate it.

    The first paragraph is well structured and written. You don't have to change it. Unless one little thing. When you say " to go to University" I would rather writting " I got into University".

    In second paragraph you said " It is a really". Maybe it would be better to put some adjective to complement it. For example: " It was really frustranting"

    Although there are some mistakes you write very well. :)

    Marcelo Koyama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nina,

    It’s nice to get to meet you through your writing. It sounds like you have worked hard on your own to try to improve your English language skills. I hope this short session at HUFS helps a little too.

    It will if you let it.

    A teacher once told me, “Nothing we learn is ever wasted.” I think that’s true.

    You seem to have found some ways to improve your English on your own, and they sound like great methods to me. Listening to English, reading in English, finding ways to speak in “real” conversation with others in English, even if you and they aren’t perfect English speakers; all these will help you improve.

    Find fun ways to practice English. Read books that are interesting, not heavy textbooks that are hard to read. Watch movies in English without subtitles and try to understand and repeat what the actors say. It sounds like a fun adventure.

    Marcelo mentioned some grammar things and I think he has good advice, but we can talk about grammar face-to-face when we have time. It’s more important to be understood. I think the biggest thing you could to to improve this message is tell the reader more clearly about what your change or experience was that changed your personality or your mind about things.

    What was important about language. Was there some kind of shift? It sounds like it a little, but you don’t really say it very clearly here.

    Keep building ideas.

    Thanks!

    JBH

    ReplyDelete