Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Bittna Lee/ Journal Entry on The School Days of an Indian Girl/ Summer 2016

Journal Entry on The School Days of an Indian Girl

    The author's story reminded me of my own experience in school. I moved to Australia when I was seven and did not know the language like Zitkala-Sa. I also got into trouble because I did not understand English. For example, I was not fully prepared for school because I did not understand what the teacher had told me to bring. My class had an excursion to a local swimming pool. So we had to bring few dollars for entrance, but I was unaware of that and went to school empty handed. Everything was very confusing because I didn't have a handle on what is going on.
    In addition, I liked how the writer told her experience in detail. I could imagine the scenes vividly. For instance, she elaborated on the school facility; at the top was a quiet hall, dimly lighted. Many narrow beds were in one straight line down the entire length of the wall. I also enjoyed how she explained daily objects in the perspective of a Native American who has never seen them before; from the table we were taken along an upward incline of wooden boxes, which I learned afterward to call a stairway. When I was finished with the reading, I was upset that the settlers deprived her of her home and culture and was sorry that so many Native Americans had to go through this.

Bittna

No comments:

Post a Comment