Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Cathy Zhang/essay1/ISS

                                   Finding friends

  The expression of "finding friend" only existed in words i spoke and the songs i sang but never in my mind before the second year of my college life. What i began to realize at the same time was the weight of that expression.

  I like to think that i grew up in a family full of love. Sure maybe my parents don't love each other which does not serve as an evidence of an unhappy and dramatic childhood nowadays. But thankfully they both love me very much. And because of that I grew up being a outgoing, innocent,normal happy little girl who had no problem in making friends like most of the people in that little town I lived. Maybe I was lucky or maybe that's just the way it is that almost all the people I became friends with from primary school till high school are the true friends who I cannot be who I am today without and are to be there for each other for the rest of our lives.It's almost unbelievable that I never intentionally try to be friends with them or keep in touch with them after graduation.But we just did.

 My freshman year in college, Life treated me well blessing me with an amazing roommate who is a great friend and teacher to me. Because of her I didn't spend too much time with others to find out how not everyone can be my friend. But the next year hearing the calling of my young heart I applied for an exchange program to Korea. Together came with me was another girl in my class who looked just as innocent as I was. We got along well at first. But there was no next. I began to have some unfamiliar feeling when I was with her. There was just something wrong. When I came back home after hanging out with her there was always this big cloud of stuffy depression on my chest instead of happiness. I went out happy and came back sad. And I didn't understand that. But soon came my first sign. When I consider someone my friend I usually tell everything to that person unconditionally. I hardly have secret but at that time i had a big one. So I told her that secret and told her never to tell anyone cause it's very very private to me. And what do you know. The next hour a mutual friend of us asked me about that secret saying that she saw it at her sns which I later went to check but didn't see anything because she posted it blocking me. With anger I confronted her about that but she laughed and said it's not a big deal which I found out in the next few months is a typical thing she does when apology is needed. But I was surrounded with kind and trustworthy people before her so I thought maybe she really thought it was nothing. But something starts to feel really wrong. After a lot of thinking,struggling and crying I realized the reason I was not happy with her was that she never really responsed to all the true feelings I expressed to her and in her mind I'm only a tiny decoration she can talk about sometimes in her glamorous life. All of that cost me a year. After that I have been keeping some distance with her. Until now I still have no idea why she treats me like that or if she treats everyone like that but I'm too tired to find out.

 That's when I first realized I can't be friend with anyone I spend time with. And along with some other experience in college I learned that a long-lasting honest and healthy friendship doesn't just show up at your doorstep anymore .It's something you have to and worth fighting for. The friends we made when we were young are the people we grew up together. We were similar before coming out of the same school and same city speaking with the same accent and finding out each other in all those people. As we grew up we became part of each other and even more similar. And we tried to figure out life together and formed the same views on a lot of things and those are the bonds that attach us to each other for the rest of our lives. Even when we have difference we were happy to embrace and try out everything because we had no clue what's right or wrong then. But in college , the small society as we call it, people come from all over the country having such different lives and views. I don't want to think of those that are different from me as wrong but I'm not capable of embracing them all anymore. And I think a lot of people are just like me too.And because of that, for those who still have a warm heart of trying to become friends to each other, disagreement leads to frustration which leads to hurting each other. For those who don't care, disagreement just leads to a cold dead wall of silence. Although it could be sophisticated, cold and sad but maybe it's just more responsible for everyone to "find" our friends. For me the stressful and exhausting but also challenging and exciting work of finding friend includes Getting to know someone, determining how deep I want our relationship to be and by social techniques making that work. and maintaining it. It is an art I'm still not good at . I might have to spend my whole life practicing and probably will never master it. But it's part of the complicated adult world I have to live in. And that's the real mystery I will never figure out.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Cathy :)
    Your story is awesome its very real nowadays and you have a happy Childhood Life.
    the beginning of your story is good but while reading the story I think you use some fiction words to express it. Example the "cold dead wall silence" and then can you use other term of "Weight". Can you discuss more what you learn from your dishonest friend. Like how you overcome the situation.
    Finding friends is easy but finding true friends is difficult. Don't figure out, just be yourself true friends will come to you.
    and in end you can put that "You learn from your mistake that don't trust people immediately or keeping very confidential in our life is better than sharing them with anyone else"

    PHOEBE

    ReplyDelete