Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Bittna Lee/ Journal 1/ 2016 Summer

My Impression of Korea 

   I do not remember my very first impression of Korea since I was born here. However, I can recount the image of Korea I had when I came back to Korea after spending my childhood in Australia. My memory has faded due to time but the experiences I had in school were somewhat shocking that they still remain quite clear in my head. Korean schools were very different to that of Australia. Unfortunately, I did not favour the characteristic of my new Korean school. First of all, the classes did not offer many opportunities for students to get involved. It was mainly focused on teachers explaining and students just underlining or taking notes. Furthermore, the school did not encourage students to participate in extra-curricular activities. Only subjects such as maths, English and Korean were considered important and other subjects and activities that are not directly related to college admission were treated insignificant or even discouraged. For instance, in my high school, we did not have music, art and P.E in year 12. Moreover, my teacher told me not to do voluntary work because it is not a good use of my time. It was a big shame for me and other students who enjoyed these activities. Although I have various good memories in high school, the school education itself is definitely not one of them. That is why I enjoy the lectures I take in my university. There are a lot of open discussions and I can decide what I want to learn and do with my time.

Bittna Lee

1 comment: