Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Bittna Lee/ Journal Entry on Barriers/ Summer 2016

   Journal Entry on "Barriers"

   While I was reading "Barriers", I could relate to the author's argument in the writing. I too had experience in learning a new language and living abroad. I major in German and have spent two semesters in Germany. I liked the tennis analogy because I think not being able to answer back when you are asked in a foreign language is quite similar to not being able to hit back after a strong serve. Although you know the language, you are not fluent enough to understand everything. However, I think some tennis analogies were not so appropriate. For instance, the author's attempt to compare connotations with the way players send the ball seemed bit farfetched.

 

   The difference between the writer and me is that I'm less conscious about "how" I talk. I just try to convey my thoughts without worrying too much on grammar or other aspects. For example, to share my experience in Germany, I tried to say what I wanted to say without thinking ahead in my head, and most of the times I had no trouble communicating. Even when I was wrong, people would correct me and I could learn something new.

 

   "So, if you happen to be talking to a foreigner, be aware of this problem." This sentence in the writing struck me because before learning German I was not really considerate when I talked to foreigners. However, now that I have been in their shoes, I know I should try to talk slowly and in a clear manner when I have conversations with people who are not as familiar with the language.  

2 comments:

  1. That's really beautiful writing :D

    Punthita W. ( Yimm )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is very fluent writing :D
    Daekyu

    ReplyDelete